Search This Blog

Thursday 19 January 2012

Abject Terror ... Plus A Good Television Programme

Sometimes you should be careful what you wish for. Like for instance the lead part in an amateur production of a farce. I read for It Runs In The Family, which is one of them Ray Cooney jobbies, that is to say mistaken identity, cross-dressing and double entendre. I now face the prospect of learning a shit-load of lines and the renewed terror of being on stage. Darling I'm positively dripping with fear. As for the play, well high art it ain't but you do have to admire the dramatic craft and ear for low humour. I play an arrogant hospital consultant (oxymoron?) which shouldn't be too much of a stretch attitude-wise.

Unlikely tv star
But most importantly, today I want to urge you to watch this if you get the chance - Jonathan Meades On France. I really can't tell whether or not this is what the licence fee should be spent on but I love Meades - he's unapologetically clever, rude, opinionated and stimulatingly deadpan. Half the time I don't even know what he's on about but it's great fun watching him say it. 

1 comment:

  1. Surely that should be the opposite of an oxymoron? Or as we in Tipton say
    "twat'!
    Impressed with the pic. Obviously Sharon bought you a make over for Xmas. 2 observations - whilst the Rooney hair plant is impressive the facial didn't do much, you still look everyone of your 51 years! Even perhaps the thought lines are a bit deeper!

    ReplyDelete