Search This Blog

Monday 10 October 2016

The State Of Two Unions And The Only Things Greater Than The Gods

Two Unions - rugby football and the United States to be precise. These are just two of my favourite things. My weekend put me in collision course with both.

First, rugby union. Well, you all know by now that I love the game in all its dangerous, poetic daftness. League rugby and professionalism have visited hard times on some of us and Aston Old Edwardians have copped it worse than many. Hey ho, one is master of one's own destiny I suppose. I have knocked refereeing on the head (those bastard calf muscles I'm afraid) but am doing some referee advising (we used to be called assessors but I guess the modernists find that too judgemental) and Saturday took me to Aston to advise a newish referee. Signs of the times (good ones at that): the referee was a woman and Aston's opponents were Birmingham Bulls - I quote from their website: "Birmingham's gay and inclusive rugby club". 25-15 to the visitors and the afternoon passed by without any crassness, at least that made its way to my attention. Some nice skills, rather less fitness but a good thing for all to have been involved in. In the bar I enjoyed the company of friends old and new and bathed in that atmosphere of familial comfort that is the true distinction of our silly old game. It may have been better in  my high days, but will anyone ever truly know?

To America (televisually) and the moral poverty of the second debate between the presidential candidates. Trump hovered menacingly over Clinton like the vulgar bullying sleaze he is. So damaged is she  politically that she could not put him away. A pitiful spectacle that lowered Monday morning.

But lo! By bush telegraph comes the news that Daughter Number Two has successfully scaled Kilimanjaro. Both girls have now accomplished this - if any more family members get there, we will have to open an office. Once again I offer up the girls to the gods and proclaim: "Behold, the only things greater than yourselves." A very proud Dad.

1 comment:

  1. OMG
    The only thing that could better it is to open a corner shop on it!
    Congrats to all, that's a wonderful achievement. Obviously managed by the mailman DHR!

    ReplyDelete