Search This Blog

Tuesday 19 December 2017

Advent 20

Now we have only the GOATs left on this calendar. Yesterday it was the best English cricketer ever I was privileged to set eyes on. Today we have the game's greatest all-rounder. As a child Dad took my brother and me to Edgbaston to see Warwickshire play Nottinghamshire in the John Player Sunday League. The reason was that we were going to see the world's best cricketer, Garfield Sobers. As it happened Sobers had a modest day whilst Warwickshire were propelled to victory by a century from a lesser West Indian god, Rohan Kanhai. Nevertheless my father's estimation had piqued my interest and I took joy thereafter in everything Sobers did, whether batting (he played what Bradman deeemd the best innings ever seen in Austarlia), bowling (left arm seam, finger spin, or wrist spin), or fielding with cat like reflexes. All of this brilliance was effected with a modest dignity. GOAT all-round cricketer.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment