Search This Blog

Tuesday 3 January 2023

Twelve Films At Christmas - 8, 9 & 10


The Fulll Monty
- no plot synopsis is needed. You will no doubt have seen the film as often as have I. It is, I now realise, vaguely patronising and not a little exploitative but not on a scale that diminishes the artistic achievement. I have, I'm sure, reveiewed it before so I won't compromise myself by offering a new rating. All that need be said is that it keeeps its power to engage and amuse.


Another movie that I have reviewed before and one I would venture couldn't get made now. It's sexual politics are all askew. I don't begin to dispute that but it still sits as my favourite Hollywood musical, over and above even Singin' in the Rain. I'm talking about Seven Brides for Seven Brothers. Worth the price of admisssion just for the barn-raising scene. 


And just to prove that I am not stuck in permanent loop, returning jaded to the the same old films, we have something I hadn't seen before. The Duke is a far more important movie than it pretends to be. Indeed it is the absolute lack of pretension that makes its effect so notable. At its centre is a performance of comedy, tenderness and good faith from Jim Broadbent. In support, Helen Mirren is predictably superb. Reviews had led me to expect something slight and pleasing. Wrong. This film has heft and wears it well. 77/100.   

No comments:

Post a Comment