Search This Blog

Tuesday 29 October 2019

RWC19.6

I have let the excitement of the weekend dissipate. It ill behoves an Englishman to be seen as boastful - just take a look (if you can stand it) at the semi-literate bile that dominates the message boards on BBC Sport. Calm down lads and lasses (more, many more of the former than the latter I fear) England haven't won anything yet. I say this as a warning both to proud Englishmen and to the inveterate haters of all things English. For heaven's sake chaps I even heard a radio debate today about where the victory parade should be held. Hubris lads - look it up.

I will keep it to this - I have been watching England matches man and boy for fifty years and I have never seen a better performance than that which dismantled New Zealand on Saturday. All of which is rather splendid but means nothing when you are facing a Springbok team revelling in underdog status. It has the potential to be a compelling and brutal final.

As for Wales and the match that eliminated them, well, both sides were pretty lamentable. Which, again, means nothing in the context of the final. I will admit to some guilty relief at the outcome - I have long held that an England/Wales final would fall to the Welsh. 

No comments:

Post a Comment