Search This Blog

Tuesday 19 November 2019

The Omen

Why remake a perfectly adequate film? There is I suppose some warped sense in having another go at a perfectly inadequate film, but having watched both the 1976 and 2006 iterations of The Omen, I find myself wondering at the thinking behind the revamp. The second faithfully apes the first and cannot, so far as this limited critic can tell, add anything of substance to the first. I am at least relieved to observe that the later version does not try to up the ante on the gore front - the decapitation scene is perhaps more graphically done but that's about it.

But the similarities between the two pictures at least mean that only one editorial comment is needed. This is an enjoyably portentous, souped-up dip into the world of religion and evil possession. Better (by some degree in fact) than The Da Vinci Code and its daft sibling Angels and Demons, I wouldn't put you off either serving of this diabolical fare but wouldn't recommend that you go out of your way to test either. 6/10 apiece.

It has come to me that I can answer the question I posed at my start above - check out the two versions of True Grit and you'll see where I'm going.

No comments:

Post a Comment