Search This Blog

Tuesday 26 January 2021

Henry VI Part 3

I was sitting down to think about it (well I didn't sit down with the particular aim of thinking about it but you get my drift) and do you know what I have never formally studied any of the History Plays. I have 'O' and 'A' levels and a degree in English and, forgive my immodesty, have picked up prizes along the way. But none of the curricula has strayed into the History Plays. Just the luck of the draw I suppose, that added to my own preference for the Tragedies.

Well, as you know, I am now embarked on my journey through Shakespeare in putative chronology of composition. All of which means doing Part 3 of Henry VI before Part I, the latter the original prequel.

Once more I am indebted to the BBC box set - a great resource, pity that the Antony and Cleopatra is so wretched. Anyway, Part 3 kicks off with shifts in allegiance and much barbarous revenge - and never lets up. I particularly enjoyed Oengus MacNamara's psychotic Clifford. However the growing presence in the play (a portent of much to come later) is Ron Cook as everybody's favourite psychopath, Richard of Gloucester. I saw this play on the stage at the Globe  a few years ago (all three parts in one day - a feat of endurance) and liked it then. Underrated?  

No comments:

Post a Comment