Search This Blog

Saturday 22 May 2021

Two Down, One To Go, Portentous Still The Word

The Johhny Worriker trilogy of made-for-television spy thrillers managed to pass me by completely at their origin. I reviewed Page Eight on here a couple of weeks ago. Good but blighted by David Hare's trademark heavy-handed politics. Portentous was the word I favoured and even a quick look in Roget doesn't reveal a better descriptor. Well, Hare is at it again in the second instalment, Turks and Caicos. Again perfectly passable fare but clumsy in its denouement, which is a pity because even I am prepared to believe that our masters are up to no good behind our backs. I just don't need it bellowed at me. The dialogue gets in the way of some deft plotting and direction but cannot obscure some stellar acting. Mind you it would be a dramatic crime of the first order not to produce a good film with Bill Nighy and Helena Bonham Carter at your disposal. 60/100.   

No comments:

Post a Comment