Search This Blog

Thursday 27 January 2022

And So Begins The Task

Don't worry - I've got over moaning about how 2021 pissed me off. There's still room for joy and optimism in my world.

An interesting film to kick-off the year. Don't Look Up wants to be a Dr. Strangelove for the age of global warming. It is slick and passingly funny (though not nearly as amausing as it thinks it is - there's only so many obvious targets you can take potshots at in one piece) but will not attract the same critical reverence that Strangelove still (and I have to say I have never been a fan of that movie either, but have to accept I am almost alone) garners. Sorry that was a bloated and unstylish sentence. I'll try to do better in future.

So, having made it clear that this is not a great film, I don't find it quite as poor as the majority of reviews would have it. It's just that there's only so much being hit over the head with a smug liberal club that your average citizen can take. Oh and by the way, big admirer of Mark Rylance but his performance in this film is derivative (Paul Whitehouse - suits you sir) and distracting. No doubt he'll win some awards. The film - 65/100. 

But here's something to be impressed by - a politician resigning on a point of principle and doing it with some style. Are you watching Boris, you sleazebag? Agnew Resignation Watch and learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment