Search This Blog

Wednesday 7 December 2022

Twelve Films At Christmas - 1

The trees are up (yes we have two - so bourgeois) and the lights are shining. Thus I can start my festive diet of things cinematic.


I have said before (ok I was hardly the first) that sometimes the Best Picture Oscar is not a reliable indicator of merit, but, of late, there have been some gems. Barry Jenkins's Moonlight won the award and it is brilliant. It is all about something that I have mentioned before - toxic masculinity, or at least it is partly about that because it works on a wider stage. It is about being human. Sometimes the patois dialogue is difficult but challenge yourself to make the effort and then wallow in the fine playing and the directorial craftsmanship. Beautiful. 89/100. 

No comments:

Post a Comment