Search This Blog

Sunday 19 February 2023

National Treasure At Work

No not me you fool. No, I refer to Armando Iannucci, about whom I have waxed lyrical on previous occasions. He directs and co-writes (with Simon Blackwell) the magnificent The Personal History of David Copperfield. It is a brilliant film. Clever but not overly or self-consciously so, it achieves its proper goal, that is to say it is entertaining from beginning to end but finds time to make you think. There is plenty in there for Dickens afficianados (I am not one but I did recently read Claire Tomalin's excellent biography of this puzzling genius) but it is not your standard classic adaptation. Instead it plays numerous narrative tricks while taking justifiable liberties with the source text. As I say, brilliant. 90/100.

No comments:

Post a Comment