Search This Blog

Sunday 3 December 2023

Advent 3


There were giants in the land. I was taught by a collection of learned and interesting men and women. It was their intellectual hinterland that made the very greatest teachers. One such was Andrew Pargeter who taught Physics, the only science that I took at O level. He was a good teacher but a greater impression was made on me by his collection of outside skills - magician, brilliant guitarist, man of letters. For General Studies lessons in the sixth form the teachers were given their head and allowed to range over their outside interests. It was in that spirit that Andy introduced us to Surrealism. And it was in that spirit that he offered us Hieronymus Bosch as the great fifteenth century progenitor of that twentieth century disruptive school. 

I mentioned yesterday my time as a very lazy student in London. On my wall in my room at King's College Hall was the poster of this Bosch painting. I thought it made me an intellectual. Pseud more like it. Great picture though.

No comments:

Post a Comment