Search This Blog

Sunday 21 July 2024

The Mystery Of Faith

I woke early here on the island and came upon King of Kings showing on the BBC at a strange early hour. It is not a great film but the underlying biblical story is a fabulous one. I'm a sucker for the gospels.

Anyway it put me in the mood to attend mass at Our Lady of Lourdes RC church here in Benllech. And jolly good it was too. A congregation combining locals and manifest holidaymakers was treated to a measured and wry performance by a Scottish priest. All of which got me thinking about my own conflicted catholic agnosticism. It is the proclamation of faith that always gets me and the attendant ceremony over the offerings. I came away feeling still in a state of negotiation over my own faith but pleasantly uplifted. And yes I did take communion - a cynic might call that having my bread and eating it. I can live with it.  

No comments:

Post a Comment