Search This Blog

Wednesday 17 February 2010

Taking a Stand - Bipolar Disorder

I caught a rather beautiful little radio programme yesterday on a subject close to my heart - http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00qpl4q . I'm bipolar (I have to say that I think good old fashioned 'manic depression' describes it better) and my experience of the condition has changed me. If I'm honest until it afflicted me I don't think I really believed in depression and certainly I would have scoffed at its chemical treatment. I was wrong. Only I know how close I came to chucking my hand in and I owe my life to the good old NHS and most particularly to my special and devoted carer, Sharon. If you get the chance, listen to this programme because it is moving, thought-provoking and intensely human. The human mind is a marvellous and terrible thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment