Search This Blog

Thursday 11 February 2010

Women's Rugby

Writers write and referees referee. Yesterday I was a referee. I had been getting a little pissed-off at the lack of appointments to Wednesday matches (I am not available for Saturdays because of my responsibilities at AOE) but a phone-call confirmed that this was cock-up rather than conspiracy. So yesterday I ventured into a snowy Shropshire to referee Harper-Adams University College v Nottingham Trent University. The oddity was that this was my first experience of refereeing women.

I think there is a part of me that wants to be a reactionary against women's rugby but I am glad to say that I have mastered this prejudice. The game was a joy to referee. The participants were committed but not deranged and accepted my authority without question. Male rugby is not always like that, indeed my own playing career was not always located on the right side of deranged.

When I got home I phoned the England Women's Head Coach for a chat. This, of course, is not difficult because I played and coached with him for fifteen years. When his England side win the World Cup later this year I will be able to say that I knew Gary Street before he got his knighthood. He will be able to say that he knew me before I was poor.

1 comment:

  1. Hello "cyber spacers" (not sure if this is really old and nerdy..) I am the head coach David refers to and would like to add my bit. As a full time professional coach, I have had access to many coaches and i am currently working with one of the most famous sports psyches in the world. I have had two great coaches. One was a Mr Chips type character known to many and is still a great influence. David is the other. During an inspiring, "how to inspire others" workshop two days ago, I understood their power. They make you answer the question "why are we doing this". "Why" is my most powerful word.....

    ReplyDelete