Search This Blog

Saturday 4 December 2010

Advent 4

If on Desert Island Discs you were allowed to add one joke to sustain you along with the eight records, bible, Shakespeare and chosen book (Simon Raven for me) I think this is the one I would take with me. It is silly, clean and surreal. It works on adults and children.
What's white and can't climb trees?
A fridge.
Now we have to be careful with this culturally vital joke because it is endangered. It has been brought to my attention that people are these days populating their kitchens with refrigerators of non-white colouring. If this carries on then future generations will see this joke and wonder what the hell we were all laughing at. Or maybe, just maybe it will become an artefact beloved of the learned because only they will know the historical context. I hope so. It deserves to live on.

2 comments:

  1. I have two fridges.
    They are both white.
    Neither of them can climb trees.
    For me, the joke works.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Delighted to note that The Overgraduate is hitting the multi-fridge demographic. This is the type of audience we want to attract.

    ReplyDelete