Search This Blog

Monday 1 October 2012

Emptying My Notebook

A thing I do regularly is to vow to keep a notebook close at hand and to write down thoughts and various bons mots. I follow up the vow by acquiring a notebook and keeping it close at hand. I then write down thoughts and bons mots. I then lose the notebook. Later I find the notebook by which time I have moved on to a new notebook and can no longer remember the significance of the older thoughts and bons mots. By this routine you and I miss out on some of my best stuff. I cling to this conclusion as a means of preserving what scarce sanity I have.

Today is one of those finding days and I will try to make sense of some of the assembled thoughts and bons mots. Because I love you. Almost as much as I love me.

Toy Story 3 in 2D. This note must refer to having seen the final episode of the franchise without the need for comedy spectacles. Attentive readers will recall that I raved about it when I saw it at the pictures. Well, the new technology is not a necessary part of the enjoyment of this beautiful film. Wondrous. Tear-jerking.

Joe Walsh. This can only have been scrawled on a night when I was uttering one of my favourite lines - 'life's been good to me so far.' Which, when all's said and done, it has. The song from which it is taken is chock full of great lines, for example, 'I go to parties, sometimes until four, it's hard to leave when you can't find the door.' Here is the whole thing from YouTube with the lyrics more or less accurately transcribed.


 

Cutting Grass. Can only guess that I had just cut the grass, something I enjoy inordinately. A petrol mower is in my estimation one of the great things that a chap should aspire to own. I have this year devised a new pattern of cutting which gives the impression of a wider cut. I think this rather clever and may patent it, hence no photograph until I have cleared it with my patent agents. Here is a poem about grass cutting which attracted a rejection slip (on good stiff card God bless them) from The Spectator.

 
4-3-3: Cup Final Saturday 2010

(11 May 2010 – David Cameron forms a coalition government;
15 May 2010 – Chelsea-1; Portsmouth-0)
 
On Cup Final
Saturday
men unite

to watch the game
and all that
goes before

it. That at least
is what I
remember

from days when my
grandfather
was alive

to administer colour television
and distribute conspiratorial beer
 
whilst speaking in
awe of the
singular: 

A
Goalkeeper in
splendid
 isolation.

All trace of romance and enjoyment has
now been betrayed. In the spirit of the
New Politics today I cut the grass
instead.


I could eat a baby with a scabby head. No idea who it was I heard say this but it makes me laugh now and out of context.

Catches win matches. I will have written this down while watching England's wholly inadequate attempts to beat South Africa this summer. The inadequacies have all become rather obscured by the activities of the inexcusable (but soon to be excused) Kevin Pietersen.

1 comment:

  1. I say Roberts I had clean for got how good that track from the boy Walsh was! Must get it from Itunes.

    ReplyDelete