Search This Blog

Monday 24 December 2012

Advent 24

East of Eden - John Steinbeck
"Thou mayest rule over sin", Lee. That's it. I do not believe all men are destroyed. I can name you a dozen who were not, and they are the ones the world lives by. It is true of the spirit as it is true of battles - only the winners are remembered. Surely, most men are destroyed, but there are others who like pillars of fire guide frightemed men through the darkness. "Thou mayest, Thou mayest!" What glory!
 
This is the single most important passage in my literary experience. I remember vividly the riverbank I sat by as I first read it. I don't as a rule do a lot of riverside reading so this may in part explain its memorability, but I'm pretty sure it would have made its mark wherever I encountered it.

 
 
And so I wish a truly happy Christmas to all of you and remember you heard it here first - thou mayest rule over sin.

1 comment:

  1. What an anti climax and let down! Where is Eden anyway and how Far East? My imaps can't find it no matter how I spell it!
    Good news though spent Xmas day watching Coach Carter, a truly inspiring piece of film!

    ReplyDelete