Search This Blog

Saturday 8 December 2012

Advent 8

Jennings Goes To School - Anthony Buckeridge
It would be a waste of time to describe Linbury Court Preparatory School in great detail, because, if you are going to follow Jennings through his school career, you will be certain to alter the shape of the building so that it becomes, in imagination, your own school.
 
And so I did, through reading every one of Buckeridge's charming and often riotously funny books. These books gave me the greatest press of my unstarred life when my adaptation (in which I also acted) of the Jennings books prompted the Erdington News to lead with 'Boredom Drove David, Age 12, to Write Play'. All downhill after that I'm afraid. Failed to train on in racing parlance. I never did hang out much with the cool kids.



 


1 comment:

  1. I'd forgotten all about the Jennings books, I used to love these when I was a lad! I think I read every one they had in Solihull Library.
    Martin.

    ReplyDelete