Search This Blog

Monday 7 April 2014

...Are Brilliant Mark XVI

Haven't done one of these for a while so apologies to all of you who depend on me as your cultural bellwether. Had to check my spelling on that one.

As I said, are brilliant: the Great War edition of Antiques Roadshow last night on the good old BBC. Bloody nearly had me in tears.

Over on Murdoch's demon Sky there is the excellent True Detective. Calling it gritty would be the very least you could say. Best drama I've seen on the old goggle box since Boardwalk Empire. 

Russian Caravan tea. I have a pot of it on the desk as I type. It reminds me of early student days (when I was still the Undergraduate) in that flat in Thurloe Square (seriously we had a flat in South Ken), coming in late from Stan's Bar at Imperial, drinking posh tea, eating boiled egg sandwiches (with tabasco natch) and listening to The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway.

Since I have mentioned it we must add to the list The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway. It often used to be said that most good double albums contain the contents of a great single album. Lamb Lies Down is different - it contains one and a half great single albums.

Having a gym at home (it's only the converted back portion of a tandem garage, with the precious Jag living in the front half) because even though it has pissed down this evening I was able to boost my already not inconsiderable self-esteem on the cross-trainer and the rowing machine. Welcome to the gun show.

The lyrics of Clive James - of which I was reminded whilst listening to my iPod in the car last week. By the way the new car now has a name courtesy of daughters numbered one and two who were home together at the weekend. It is my Canyonero. Those of you who know your Simpsons will get the joke.

No comments:

Post a Comment