Search This Blog

Wednesday 14 May 2014

As Seen On TV

We tend nowadays not to watch anything at the time it is broadcast, instead utilising the numerous catch-up and on-demand services. As a reviewer this habit places me a step away from the zeitgeist but hey ho I'm not going to let that stop me inflicting some opinion upon you. I will consider five programmes in ascending order of artiness. And bear in mind that artiness is not of itself always a good thing - we need look no further than the BBC's recent risible Jamaica Inn.

First up is The Crimson Field. Now this is decent dramatic schlock which really rather wants to be high art. You can play spot the WW1 cliche as you watch it - snobbish upper class officers, Irish republicanism, self-inflicted wounds and even a bit of the love that dare not speak its name. But despite this predictability you have to say it's rather well done and perfectly watchable. Just please don't tell me to take it all that seriously.

bonkers but fun
Next in line is the daft, over-egged but magnificent 24. Our hero Jack Bauer murders his way through each episode in selfless defence of truth, justice and the American way. Bonkers but fun. Just please don't let it shape your world view. At least not your entire world view.

Slightly less bonkers but riddled with mounting implausibilities we are finally getting into the second series of Homeland. Superior television which I place on an equal pedestal with a bit of Scandinavian crime in the shape of The Bridge. Saga Noren is a terrific dramatic creation.

Next, very nearly the best thing I've seen on television for ages and which I've mentioned before in this blog - True Detective. Now I've called Jamaica Inn risible so I have to be careful here because the charge of indecipherability can be levelled at True Detective also. However this series had the heft to carry its artistic pretensions with it, rather than merely alienating the viewer.

the sainted Tom Hollander
Finally the actual very best thing I have seen on television for ages. The final episode of Rev. Poignant, clever and as good an argument as you will find for the licence fee. I won't spoil it in case you haven't seen it yet in which case watch out for it in the future. The whole series is laudable but the climax is really rather clever and beautiful. 

No comments:

Post a Comment