Search This Blog

Thursday 19 June 2014

Lost In Translation

I like owning books. I like to own the books I have read. They don't have to be new books, in fact it is very difficult for me to pass a second-hand bookshop. I already own more books than I am likely to read and that is before the volumes held on my Kindle.

Mais, si amusant comme en anglais?
A gift at Christmas (from my father I think) was a bundle of Simenon's Maigret novels rescued from a charity shop. In between other bits and bobs of reading (I have inherited Dad's habit of having more than one book on the go) I am enjoying My Friend Maigret. All good stuff but it does make me jealous of those polyglots who can read these things in their original language. How does alliteration translate, or that English staple the pun? Does Wodehouse work in French? 

No comments:

Post a Comment