Search This Blog

Monday 11 January 2016

Cultural Iconography: David Bowie

I woke this morning to the lead story on Radio 4 - the death of David Bowie. This was a fitting choice of top story.

The great, the good, the mediocre and the talentless will all by now have had their say on this great man via their Twitter feeds but little of it will throw any illmunation on one of the most important cultural contributors of my lifetime.

When I did my presumptuous advent calendar of cultural icons and influencers in 2014 (available on this blog at the mere click of your mouse) I included not a single musician, not even Mozart. Unusually for me I have an attack of modesty (self-knowledge really) when it comes to the case of music - I lack any technical competence to criticise. However of all the musicians who have practised in my life, I have the untutored view that Bowie was the greatest. It just feels that way. So here is my favourite Bowie video. I don't know why, it just feels that way.







His death is sad of course but the general appreciation of his talent is cheering. So as I walked back from dropping the Precious Jag at the garage I listened to my digital radio and Radio 4 continued to entertain me with Start the Week on the making of modern Russia. David Aaronovitch on the panel - always good value. That's what I pay my taxes for.

No comments:

Post a Comment