Search This Blog

Monday 22 August 2016

An Insignificant Milestone

This is my 750th post. To the very few who have been with me all the way: thanks, you must be suckers for punishment.

I was at a wedding on Saturday - the nuptials of Hannah Lucy Watson and Andrew 'Dougie' Dugmore. this was a signally happy event and even old misery guts here was moved, if not to tears, at least to reflection that there is hope in the world. The bride is the daughter of my long-time friend IW and I have therfore known her for all her life. She is  a notably cheerful child and I can wish her nothing but happiness and good fortune. IW spoke movingly as befits a man educated at King Edward VI School Aston, even if he did waste much of his time there in my rather distracting and noisome company. Days of wonder.

My mood today has matched the weather - overcast but not direly so. However I lightened the gloom by visiting a deserted university library (the Kenrick Library at the old Great Barr Campus of BCU) to sample the delights of Shakespeare Survey 58, which has interesting things to say about presentism - a trick I am trying to pull off myself in my nascent thesis.

In the late afternoon I abandoned the Bard and treated myself to a very good old film - White Heat. This is James Cagney on prime form as the psychotic, mother-fixated gangster. It rattles along and, although noted in its day for its violence, it lacks the often tedious gratuitousness of many modern offerings. And at less than two hours it can tell modern film-makers a thing or two about editing. 7.5/10. 

No comments:

Post a Comment