Search This Blog

Tuesday 9 August 2016

Sorry But Yet Again The Word Of The Day Is ... Asinine

Hello it's Captain Grumpy here again.

I've been trying very hard to stomach the BBC coverage of the Olympic swimming but my god it's difficult. Sharron Davies for starters. A distinguished past Olympian who was robbed of a gold medal by a drug-fuelled East German. But the time to grow up has long passed and being the cheerleader in chief at poolside is not journalism - it's a bit desperate in truth.

As for Helen Skelton and Mark Foster - well I'm sorry, you poor loves, if it's humid in there but I expect my broadcasters to reach for something that at least passes for smart-casual when they dress to come into my living room. But that can all be forgiven if there is some serious illumination cast upon what I am watching. What do we get? A stream of asinine drivel. I revere good sports journalism/broadcasting (think Simon Barnes, John Woodcock, John Arlott, John Reason, Hugh McIlvanney, Stephen Jones, Clare Balding and John Inverdale about ten years ago) but this is self-indulgent and infantile. These free-loaders might be made to watch the dreaded Sky's cricket coverage - intelligent, insightful and humble.

Mind you if you want to see bad, self-absorbed sports broadcasting tune in to At the Races (Sky 415) when Matt Chapman is performing. Knowledgeable and well-prepared but on balance and all things considered - what a prick. A graduate of the Piers Morgan/Donald Trump School of Hubris.

Oh well, it's only a game.



No comments:

Post a Comment