Search This Blog

Friday 9 September 2016

A Northern Interlude III

Today has been tough on the old brain. I'm not as sharp as I used to be and the catholic nuances in King Lear had me hanging on for my scholarly life. Still I'm here to tell the tale.

The American delegates (there are loads of them) are cheerfully noisy. I think (though I haven't got close enough to read the lapel badge by way of confirmation) that one of the 'charcters' who chooses to wear his hat indoors is an American. The other is English and he added the offence of indoor sunglasses to his charge sheet today. Hey ho.

I've made a friend from Vancouver.

The academic behemoth who offended my sensibilities yesterday gave a plenary (it just means we were all there - I looked it up) lecture today. He's very good but vehemently boorish in that way the liberal left have made their own. The unthinking contempt for all things Brexit is tiresome and intellectually lazy. But that's enough of that. The day's other plenary lecture was magnificent - delivered by Professor Michael Neill. It was about death and Lear but was so much more than that. I felt cleverer for having heard it.

I have walked back to the hotel from a civic reception at the Guildhall. Not sure I've ever been civically received before. I could grow to like it.

I feel intermittently out of my depth. At times I have to fight incredulity at the miniscule points people think to make. Today's thought: being effective is a thing; being clever is a thing; being effectivey clever is a rare and beautiful thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment