Search This Blog

Saturday 17 March 2018

All Of Life Is There

Cheltenham. I did something notable in its incompetence. For the second successive year I managed to go through the card on Thursday and get not a single pick-up, not even a compensating piece of each-way thievery. But enough of that. The day had its high points, not least the paneer peas at the Asian Grill at the end of the day.

transport of delight
Cheltenham. I saw the racing from all angles - one day in each enclosure. Tuesday I went down by National Express coach, a mode of transport I recommend. Best of all was the cabaret on the return journey provided by the drunken couple sitting immeditaely behind me. I say on the return journey but in fact their turn had run out of gas by the time we left the car park, as they both descended into a rasping sleep. Highlight of their ignorant spat with the driver was the complaint that we were an hour late in our departure, only for a fellow passenger to have to point out to the venting knob-head that the clock on the coach was an hour fast. His ire was all the more impressive because had that clock not been incorrect he and his noisome inamorata would have missed it. Mind you I bet they backed more winners than I did.

Cheltenham. Unsuitable clothes. Now, you may already be familiar with my strong belief that the skinny lurid blue suit worn with brown shoes is not suitable attire for any occasion but when skittering over the muddy car parks at the Festival it is plain comical. And someone needs to tell their girlfriends that chilly mid-March is not the time for exposed tattooed flesh and stilleto heels. Still it keeps me amused.

Tuesday was spent in the Tattersalls Enclosure, Wednesday in the Members' and Thursday in the Best Mate. Value for money? The Best Mate, where the betting ring was to my eye more vibrant than elsewhere. Perhaps it was because the bookies had been so successful in taking my filthy lucre off me. It must cheer them to see me approaching.

Yesterday's Gold Cup was a fabulous sporting spectacle, an apex of equine and human courage, but my highlight of the week was the imperious Altior, my only trumpetable bet of the week. 11/10 to a good stake.
even I had backed it

Expensive and exhausting. Roll on next year.       

No comments:

Post a Comment