Search This Blog

Tuesday 10 April 2018

Understated Epics

Can you have an understated cinematic epic? Yes I think you can and I'll give you two examples I found in the bank holiday weekend that now seems a distant memory.

The Greatest Story Ever Told is a bold title to set before the audience but since this is a telling of the life of the Christ, I think we can forgive the grandiosity. Massive in scale and ambition the film itsef might seem plodding but, you know what, I rather enjoyed it. I particularly liked the almost sympathetic realisation of Judas. One for a rainy day, possibly armed with an impudent little red. 7/10.

As with the gospels, there are rival film tellings of the Dunkirk story - not least last year's effort which I have not yet seen but which reliable witnesses tell me is brilliant. For now I content myself with Leslie Norman's (yes, he was Barry's dad) 1958 black and white offering. I remember that our fourth year teacher at junior school, Mr Lofthouse, tried to convince us that he had been an extra in this film. To this day I am not sure if he was kidding - weird thing to have made up. This Dunkirk may lack modern effects and cacophony but in its studied manner (redolent of a Britain now dead?) it also earns 7/10. 

No comments:

Post a Comment