Search This Blog

Monday 30 April 2018

Porto 1

Dateline: Monday. God bless Airbnb. Ensconced in the lap of luxury in an apartment in the old town. They deliver fresh artisanal bread to our door each morning - which is pretty cool. The local supermarket sells red wine by the carton at one euro a litre - which is pretty cool - never mind the quality, feel the width. Besides there are cafes aplenty where you can quaff the good stuff and then use the cheapo as a nightcap.

We arrived in town last night just as Porto won the Portugese league, so we caught the stirrings of some raucous celebration. Flight was fine notwithstanding the fat tosser in front of me who had his phone pinned to his ear and let his seat fully back into my precious space - what is the etiquette on these things? Is physical violence socially permisssible? Anyway I happened across this prize plonker once again in the toilets at baggage collection - he was taking a piss with the phone still clamped to his ear. That can't be right.

Must admit the Groupie and I flew at the front of the plane - I love airport lounges, they feed the soul of my inner parvenu. As someone I have long admired once said to me, 'I may be a snob, but at least I'm good at it.'

Porto is very hilly so quite a footsore day of museums and churches - it's left me feeling vaguely devout. Evening meal and some decent wines at The Wine Box - almost immorally good value at less than sixty euros for the pair of us. Obrigado very much. Tomorrow we're heading to Aveiro for some sea air. Report to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment