Search This Blog

Thursday 30 November 2023

Pictures At An Exhibition

Apologies to Mussgorsky. Apologies to Emerson, Lake and Palmer (I suspect you have to be a certain age to get that allusion). Apologies to all serious art lovers. This year's Overgraduate Advent Calendar is going to be the OG's meander through an imaginary gallery of his favourite art. Actually that oversells it because there are always rules - there have to be rules. And they are these: no more than one image per artist and they have to be man-made pictures - no photography. That still leaves plenty of room for you to be stunned by OG's decidedly tired and depressingly middle-brow taste in art. I wish it was otherwise but I am a prisoner of my lack of effort when it comes to art. I love galleries but, as with books, such is the mass of stuff out there that a second-class (lower-second-class if we are being scrupulous) mind rather tends to give up the fight.

My paternal grandmother and my aunt were both substantially talented artists. My father was a talented and prolific amateur (to add to his other copious skills) and both of my daughters are blessed with the artistic gene that skipped their father - Daughter Number Two is an illustration graduate and demonstrably has an eye, as I believe they say in certain circles.

Eclectic, that is the word. All over the place might be a less generous summation of my taste. Anyway, enjoy.   

No comments:

Post a Comment