Search This Blog

Monday 8 January 2018

Two More Films

Clint Eastwood makes stark, businesslike films. So it is with Sully - notwithstanding that (unless you've been living under a rock) there can be no real suspense in the film, it does its work rather in the manner of its eponymous hero - methodically. Tom Hanks is predictably good in the lead. It is a quiet tribute to a strong man doing his job with no expectation of thanks and without histrionics. 6.5/10.

You may have read of my recent failure to be swept away by La La Land. It is a far stretch from a bad film, indeed it's perfectly good. But (and this is the point) it's not that good. I was reminded quite why I was so underwhelmed when rewatching My Fair Lady. Bags of swank and great tune after great tune allied to lyrical wit. This is what musical cinema can do. 8.5/10. If I was feeling po-faced I might essay some observations on the sexual politics of the film but, really, can anyone be bothered? Enjoy the spectacle.  

No comments:

Post a Comment