Search This Blog

Monday 12 November 2018

Small Moments Of Perfection

I finished my last entry by ruminating on what to put in this my thousandth blog offering. I needn't have worried.

At eleven o'clock yesterday morning a crowd of all ages formed a disciplined semi-circle around the monumental dedication stone at the Aston Old Edwardian Memorial Ground in Perry Common. The carving on the plinth records that the ground was acquired and dedicated in 1927 in memory of one hundred and twenty-three Old Boys of the School who died in the Great War.

At eleven o'clock the two minute silence was beautifully observed. A boy bugler from Camp Hill RFC, in his full rugby kit ready for the match to follow, sounded the Last Post. Wreaths were laid by every section of the Rugby Club and by The Association President.

At three minutes after eleven a fine low November sun broke through and dazzled me. After the small but moving ceremony the youthful players dispersed across the playing field to enjoy our wonderful sport. I felt proud to be alive to see such courtesy and gratitude afforded the dead and the delights of the game afforded the young.

No comments:

Post a Comment