Search This Blog

Sunday 20 January 2019

A Retreat From Hell

There's an easy way to divert yourself from the hellish state of the country - drive to a western extreme and occupy your happy place. So here I am in Anglesey with a glass of the decent stuff at my side. I'm only here for a couple of days to make sure all is in order at the old country estate but much of the weight of the world has slipped off my shoulders. Sod Trump. Sod Brexit.

I've indulged myself and watched a lot of European rugby, the last round of the group stages in what I still can't help calling the Heineken Cup. Instructive - once again Saracens are left alone to carry the English flag in the knockout stages. I've heard some ill-informed speculation on the reasons for this 'crisis', but I can give you one word that explains it - relegation. And long may that be the case, notwithstanding the entitled whingeing of certain club owners.

It's good to be back. Tomorrow I face the world again. 

No comments:

Post a Comment