Search This Blog

Friday 31 July 2020

They'll Love Me When I'm Dead

I've found another interesting thing on Netflix. If you haven't yet taken my advice and watched Citizen Kane and The Magnificent Ambersons on iPlayer, I urge you to do it now and then go to Netflix and take in the fascinating but infuriating documentary They'll Love Me When I'm Dead. It is the fractured story of the making (or not) of Welles's  last film The Other Side of the Wind, a picture only released thirty-three years after Welles's death. I've not yet seen that film but will track it down and let you know. But for the curious cineaste the documentary is, despite its weaknesses, a treat. It jumps all over the place (apparently a nod to the atmosphere of The Other Side) and unless you are very up on Welles you will wonder who the numerous contributors are - their names are not shown in subscript and some voice contributors - I noted Simon Callow's distinctive tones - go unattributed altogether. It is though, as Welles himself, beguiling and an insight into the creative process. 77/100.

No comments:

Post a Comment