Search This Blog

Saturday 7 November 2020

Lock Him Up!

It was one of those weird moments - I was drafting a paragraph in the old thesis that touched upon Timothy Snyder's excoriation of Putin and Trump. (What's that got to do with Shakespeare you might ask - we'll save that for another day, but trust me I'm right). Well, anyway, I was listening inattentatively to the football in the background when the BBC interrupted the commentary to announce that Joe Biden had won the US presidential election. I have made no secret of my utter loathing of Trump (admit it, you noticed) but only at the moment of his downfall did I realise just how much this wretched man had embedded himself in my psyche. I feel a lifting of a burden. This is silly but that is how much he had got to me. Unimportant little me.


There will be a hypocritical cacophony from Trump and his gruesome acolytes but let us hope that they are given judicial short shrift - if an election really has been stolen from Trump then it is time to abandon all remaining hope in America.

There is much that will handicap Biden, not least what is erroneously designated the 'progressive' wing of his party. These are people who seriously believe in the USA's own imitation of Magic Grandpa, the political sociopath Bernie Sanders. And we must not forget that the deplorable Donald bloody nearly won. But for now let us rejoice that the most powerful political voice in the world will not be coarse, vainglorious and contemptible.   

No comments:

Post a Comment