Search This Blog

Tuesday 6 July 2021

Am I Superstitious?

I have to pose this question because it seems to me that the performance of our national football team is irretrievably linked to whether or not I trouble to watch the games. It did not start as a deliberate policy but for various reasons I have thus far been only an intermittent spectator of Euro20 (I do know it's 2021 but the branding seems to have remained unchanged). I generally find group games turgid and, in particular, I avoided the match against Scotland since I had long forecast a goalless draw or worse. Then came the Germans and on that occasion we were taking DN1 to the station - England actually scored twice while we were in transit - by this stage my superstition had kicked in and I wouldn't even listen on the radio. Instead the Groupie looked up the result on her phone.


Nor did I watch the Ukraine game, although I flicked the television over to check on progress just as Jordan Henderson headed the fourth goal. Here arises the dilemma - did my presence spark the goal or had my absence provoked its three predecessors? I have now to make my mind up. Do I watch tomorrow? A nation turns its weary eyes to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment