Search This Blog

Monday 5 June 2023

In Remembrance Of The Now Inconsequential

 

4-3-3: Cup Final Saturday 2010

 

(11 May 2010 – David Cameron forms a coalition government;

15 May 2010 – Chelsea-1; Portsmouth-0)

 

 

On Cup Final

Saturday

men unite

 

to watch the game

and all that

goes before

 

it. That at least

is what I

remember

 

from days when my

grandfather

was alive

 

to administer colour television

and distribute conspiratorial beer

 

whilst speaking in

awe of the

singular:

 

A

Goalkeeper in

splendid

isolation.

 

All trace of romance and enjoyment has

now been betrayed. In the spirit of the

New Politics today I cut the grass

instead.

 

This poem of mine appeared on this blog back in 2012 but, admit it, you had forgotten about it. I certainly had but it came back to me as I meandered around a garden centre on Saturday afternoon. And the reason? Because I was meandereng during the Cup Final. In this age of wall-to-wall televised football, the Cup Final will never recapture the status it once had. Ah well. Our garden looks nice though.

No comments:

Post a Comment