Search This Blog

Friday 2 June 2023

Sometimes The Answer Lies Very Close To Home

I live in fertile golfing country. This may sound an odd remark emanating from the Chateau Roberts locale in suburban Brum. But bear with me. Closest of all to home is Aston Wood, a relatively modern but perfectly presentable layout. But things get better as you head up Rosemary Hill Road. Hang a right into the overrrated privacy of Little Aston Park and you find the justly famous Little Aston Golf Club. Always in superb condition this is, as the Pig might put it, where the big knobs hang out. Might one detect a taste of sour grapes in such a remark? Quite possibly. The Pig has never pretended perfection. Suffice to say it is up there with the best presented courses I have been lucky enough to play. 


But let us move on from Little Aston and proceed half a mile up the road where we can find Sutton Coldfield Golf Club. Now I am biased because I used to be a member at Sutton, a privilege I abandoned simply because I didn't play enough. Well my golfing friends, MS and SS, have recently taken up membership and they were kind enough to host me there last week. What a treat. The old antediluvian attitudes to women have been ditched, and the course improvement works are superb. It may lie in a public park but trust in the Pig, this is a serious golf course. My answer to the question of my favourite course varies from day to day, but just for now it is Sutton Coldfield. Decent beer in the clubhouse as well.  

No comments:

Post a Comment