Search This Blog

Wednesday 14 August 2024

An Unquiet Mind

There but for the grace of God. What follows is not intended to be presumptuous or self-aggrandising - it is a subject close to my heart.

Graham Thorpe played one hunded test matches for England, scoring sixteen centuries along the way. Last week he ended his own life by standing in the way of a train. We need to talk about this.

I had no particular affection for Thorpe as a player, rather a considered admiration. I'm afraid that my romantic soul made me more of a Gower fan when it came to the left-handed batsmen of my lengthy cricket-watching life. We do not need to talk about this.

There but for the grace of God. My personal stars aligned (family, medical, religious and social) to keep me alive but the loss of a soul brother touches me. We need to talk about this. Please, please, just talk. Sleep peaceful my brother man.

No comments:

Post a Comment