Search This Blog

Tuesday 27 August 2024

The Impossibility Of Rankings And The Irresistibility Of Doing It Anyway

I'm on about films again. Those of you who have been with me since the beginning (for which thanks) might recall that my film reviews were intially accompanied by gradings out of 10, with half point demarcations. At some point I refined this to marks out of one hundred with single point separations. When I took this revolutionary step it was underwritten in my mind by the grading (to which I had become accustomed) applied to undergraduate essays, that is to say, sixty betokens a 2:1, seventy a First. Belatedly therefore I admit that when I award a mark of seventy or more, I am classifying a movie as first class. I have also to admit that, because I do have a life outside the blogosphere, I do not go out of my way to watch films that are likely to prove crap. There may therefore seem to be a surfeit of Upper Seconds and Firsts. 

Explanation out of the way. Now, about the impossibility of such rankings - hardly needs any explanation does it really? So often one is comparing apples with pears. But fun anyway and this was all brought back to me yesterday when greatly enjoying watching Mrs Harris Goes to Paris. This is a confection of the type that Ealing Studios might have made in the forties of fifties. Deceivingly slight but quite beautifully put together and faultlessly played. Not a text of soaring ambition but one crafted with quiet skill. First Class. It's on Netflix. 72/100 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment