Search This Blog

Thursday 6 September 2012

Life In A Day

It never completely leaves me alone and that bastard black dog has been growling around for a couple of days. I couln't get away from him today and had to keep reminding myself that he can be tamed. But then I found the answer - I channel flicked my way to Singin' in the Rain. Don't get all post-modern on me - this is a great film. 

To cheer me up all the more politics today gives us the spectacle of that odious shitbag Ed Balls toadying up to the gormless St Vince of Twickenham about his sodding mansion tax. St Vince of course believes this to be a compliment and doubtless harbours thoughts of being Chancellor in the next Lib/Lab government. Meanwhile Dave and Gideon announce that they're going to jump start the economy by allowing people to build conservatories without planning permission. God preserve us. 

Rejoice, rejoice. The Euro has been saved. The European Central Bank has today announced that it will lend to beleaguered governments at rates no sane investor would countenance. Thus goes on the whole wretched conspiracy of saving a political project which a particular elite has determined is too big to fail. I sleep soundly in the knowledge that these people know so much better than do I what is best for me. Stock markets have rallied. I am thereby richer. Temporarily.

If you want to see a real pro at work then track down the CSpan coverage of Bill Clinton's speech to the Democrat convention yesterday. We lack great platform speakers in modern politics and this was a real treat to watch. Obama rather gets up my nose but Clinton makes me smile. Chutzpah, that's the word. In amongst the rabble-rousing he also said some apt things about bipartisanship and the unworthy role of hatred in party politics. The thing I have always found depressing about the liberal left in England is how many of them hate people like me. I'm not that bad. Honest.  

No comments:

Post a Comment