Search This Blog

Thursday 2 January 2014

More Beginnings

A happy New Year to all our readers. Intoxication has been on my mind. I like a drink but sometimes it gets me into trouble so I shall try to be more careful in future. I like a nice dry white, a ruddy Barolo or a sound Claret. I should not however kid myself about the quality of my palate - I am often quite content to drink any old shit.

By one of those little accidents I have watched two dramas in the past week which are about intoxication and addiction. Both well made pieces of entertainment. The first was Flight, with the reliably brilliant Denzel Washington as a piss/coke-head airline pilot. A good piece of modern Hollywood product.

The other was the last series of Prime Suspect watched via LoveFilm. Proof that British television can be good.

I'll do Old Dave's Almanac another day but today I will share my most intimate new year thoughts with you. I'm resolving not to let the bastards get me down this year. It's the advice I always give others but I've never been too hot at taking it myself. In any event , who are these bastards of whom I speak? Well I'm not daft enough to name names even to my limited public. Actually I will make an exception of Vince Cable, David Cameron and Ed Miliband, all three of whom get right up my nose. But then you knew that already I suspect.

Twenty-eight pounds of avoir dupois. That's how much I think I need to lose. This sounds unachievable but I'm giving myself the whole year and I'm going to keep you informed. If I am to suffer then you must come along for the journey. In which spirit you should know that I ran for twenty minutes and forty-seven seconds of your English time today. I also got my hair cut today so maybe I'll have lost my first pound by weigh-in tomorrow. Oh brave new world. 

1 comment:

  1. That sounds an aweful lot of timber Big D!
    You didn't look much above your fighting weight when I saw you just before Xmas. Lose that much and you will get blown off the cliff at Dunmore East!

    ReplyDelete