Search This Blog

Thursday 9 January 2014

T + 23. Free Trade. Related Stuff.

One week in and five pounds down. Which is pretty good because I haven't been notably disciplined in my diet. I have however been out running three times including a laboured effort here in Anglesey when I arrived at lunchtime today. I'm simply here to check for storm damage or at least that is my excuse - truth is I love it here and I need a change of scenery after a fraught start to the year at work. No more of that.

I was listening to Nigel Farage on Today yesterday morning and he was as ever interesting and perhaps dangerously plausible . I say dangerously not so much because of Farage himself but on account of the assorted loons his party attracts as members. He was commenting on the perceived problem of Romanian/Bulgarian immigration consequent upon the EU's ordinance of free movement of labour and this leads one to ponder the relationship between free movement and free trade. Why do open trade borders not go hand in philosophical hand with open borders to all and sundry? The answer is our old friend the social contract because as soon as you have a welfare state of any sort you run up against the cult of entitlement being tied to contribution. This realisation engenders sympathy for anarcho-capitalism. And I bet you didn't see that one coming. I am not rebranding The Overgraduate as an anarchist  site but I am saying it makes you wonder. No?


No comments:

Post a Comment