Search This Blog

Monday 21 July 2014

Men Behaving Badly

The Question Mark Trophy (it's a long story) Tour has been and gone and much poor golf was played at Chesterfield Golf Club and much even poorer golf was played at Grasmoor on the way home.

Despite the usual worrisome warnings about handicap certificates and dress codes Chesterfield proved a winning venue. A nice course in top condition and excellent sandwiches at lunchtime. I played despite the multiple injuries sustained in a drunken fall in the wee small hours, a matter over which we will now draw a veil. As for my golf, once I had my hangover under control I played some passable (though most certainly not victorious) holes. More to the point I did so in the company of men who take neither themselves nor the game over-seriously. I got pissed all over again on the second night but this time the only injury I sustained  was a burnt tongue as I attacked too quickly an otherwise excellent late night pizza. These then are the perils of middle-age for the shamelessly unrepentant baby boomers.

All this and good sandwiches too
All of which was a welcome distraction from the absolutely grisly news of the past few days - an airliner obliterated in the skies over Eastern Ukraine (Flight MH17 and Israel testing to the point of destruction the definition of a 'proportionate response' - Gaza Death Toll. So don't tell me I shouldn't drink so much at my age. Sometimes it helps to forget. 

No comments:

Post a Comment