Search This Blog

Sunday 10 April 2016

The Summer Of 81

I was away earning an almost honest crust in the US of A in the Summer of 81 - well actually I was masquerading as a basketball coach. A golden summer of new friendships.

I missed a lot back home mind - Botham's Ashes, riots, and some seriously mixed-up music. Shakin' Stevens and The Specials vied for number one and by the time I got back the beautifully queer Soft Cell cover of Tainted Love was at the top of the charts.

So it was a pleasure to catch a late-night BBC4 showing of a Summer 81 Top of the Pops. It confirmed that singles (45 rpm vinyl recordings) used to matter and that you therefore got a right old melange of music in your state sponsored earholes. I also affirmed my recollection that, notwithsatnding many common personnel, Legs & Co were never as blatantly sexual as Pan's People. I'm sorry if you haven't got a clue what I'm on about but it's a bloke of a certain age thing. This stuff matters.

One should not underestimate the cultural importance of Pan's People  to the OG's generation of men. We now run/own the world.
A song I had half-forgotten was featured: Bill Wyman's gloriously knowing and ironic Je Suis Un Rockstar. It's up there with Joe Walsh and Life's Been Good. Video at Je Suis Un Rockstar - I'm not allowed to embed it I'm afraid. Bit bloody precious.

That's us - once were warriors.

No comments:

Post a Comment