Search This Blog

Tuesday 28 June 2016

Tea And Art

First up was high tea at Fortnum & Mason, which I can confirm is rather nice. In fact the tea itself is the least impressive bit. I'm more of a coffee man myself. What is undeniable is the very British niceness of the sandwiches, savoury scones and pastries - savoury because that is what I had opted for. As many top-ups as you require, both liquid and solid. Jolly good fun.

After that it was over the road to the Royal Academy to take in the Summer Exhibition. Keen readers might remember that the Groupie and I attended this gig a few years ago as corporate guests. This time we were paying our own way. Perhaps it was the need to put my hand in my pocket but I didn't think there were quite so many impressive exhibits this time around - mind you, and on this topic I say this very advisedly, what do I know?

The Small Weston Room is entirely given over to a collection of photographic prints of industrial subjects by Bernd and Hilla Becher. These are arresting and, ooh err missus, well hung. As for the rest, not a lot I'd make wall space for. The OG Award for best in show goes to exhibit number 865, Stromboli Crater by Emma Stibbon (yours for £7850), drawn in ink, charcoal dust and volcanic ash. Honourable mentions also for: Storm Over City II, 199, Bill Jacklin; Strolling Geisha, 337, Anja Kempa; Library of Memories, 340, Anja Kempa; Mr and Mrs Bowles of Ballyward (After Gainsborough), 453, David Hamilton; The City Divided, 577, Peter Freeth; Selina Hearse, 937, Eugen Raportoro.

I repeat, in this as in much else, what do I know? 

2 comments:

  1. Is this post a dig at those who Called you uneducated dear boy? If so not necessary !
    Like the look of the tea though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. No dig intended. Just a rare outbreak of modesty. The tea was superb.

    ReplyDelete