Search This Blog

Sunday 24 July 2016

The Bond Factor

I seem to have been reading for years that the 007 franchise is tired/redundant/past its sell-by date etc. It was said all over again when Spectre came out last year. As usual I dragged my feet before seeing it, but having done so last night, I think those weary critics are once again a tad early with the obituaries.

Yes, it ends with Bond disavowing his vocation and driving off into the sunset in the classic Aston Martin. Yes, in plot terms (plot? Bond?) it ties up some loose ends from previous instalments but when all is said and done about the darkness of Daniel Craig's Bond, this franchise still delivers high octane, tongue-in-cheek nonsense more accessibly than any other. Bond (with or without Craig) will and should continue. 6.5/10.

A point I hadn't realised is how important Spectre must have been in the Brexit victory. It is a hymn to anti-collectivism. Bernard Levin would have been delighted. Or am I over-analysing things?

No comments:

Post a Comment