Search This Blog

Thursday 26 July 2018

National Treasures

After enjoying (very much as I had expected to) the opening episode of Mark Kermode's Secrets of Cinema, I was delighted to note that Kermode had co-authored the series with the seriously good but less telegenic Kim Newman. OG hereby nominates both as national treasures. Both are deadly serious about film but wear their learning lightly without ever patronising or over-simplifying. I feel this generosity of spirit in their work rather personally because of my own dispiriting experience when I briefly studied Film on my second degree. Private grief is generally best kept that way, but I have to say with feeling that the wretched man who taught me left me depressed and belittled. I'm well over it by now but the cloud over my memories of an otherwise happy time remains. My problem? Very possibly but education doesn't have to be that way.

The Kermode/Newmwn series can be found via Secrets of Cinema

No comments:

Post a Comment