Search This Blog

Tuesday 10 July 2018

The Night Manager

I avoided the television adaptation of le Carre's The Night Manager because I had not yet read the book and I like le Carre - I have on these pages previously showered praise on A Perfect Spy which I deem a near perfectly crafted novel. The pencil note inside the front cover tells me that I paid 50p for the very dog-eared copy I have just finished reading. Money very well-spent. Not quite up there with A Perfect Spy but definitely in the bloody good category. Le Carre's disenchantment with the tatty morals of modern England is on full display and who's to say he is wrong.
We are honourable people, he thought, remembering Goodhew. Honourable English people with self-irony and a sense of decency, people with a street spirit and a good heart. What the hell's gone wrong with us?

No comments:

Post a Comment