Search This Blog

Friday 29 March 2019

Croeso Y Cymru

As I look up from my screen the picture window shows me a cloudless sky surmounting a peaceful sea. All is well at the country estate.

Rather to my own surprise I have the IPL on in the background. You will know my view on the Twenty20 form of cricket - in all its gaudy immediacy it is devouring the beautiful game that spawned it - however the stage-managed spectacle is undeniable. As I have said before, and will keep saying, pop will eat itself.

What  a fabulous few days the Groupie and I have enjoyed. Tuesday was Penrhyn Castle, a Victorian mock-Norman castle built on an unsavoury admixture of riches earned in sugar and slate mining. That's what you do when you have made your pile, indulge yourself with a huge vanity project. It is bonkers and entrancing. If you visit (which you should) and they happen to be offering tours to the usually inaccessible roof, make sure you take them up. What a spot. And now for the first time, OG treats you to a photograph taken with the Huawei phone he was given for Christmas. The tower we ascended is on the right hand extreme of the picture.


Wednesday we were at Aberffraw whence we walked westward on the coastal path. The Anglesey coast is a gift that keeps on giving. Another OG picture for you.





Yesterday we went to another architecturally barmy confection - Portmeirion. Two pictures, one of the square in the village itself and one of the beach at the extreme of the estate and which we had almost to ourselves. The picture of the village also features a guest appearance by your correspondent's left forefinger - I share this to affirm yet again my humanity.

We finished the day by watching The Lady In The Van, wherein Alan Bennett in customary fashion demonstrates his gentle, self-conscious and undemanding generosity of spirit. 7.5/10.

Returning to the IPL, I will say this, David Warner may very well be a cheating gobshite, but he is some batsman.


No comments:

Post a Comment